A Hybrid Coordinated Checkpointing Protocol for Deterministic Mobile Distributed Systems
|Published in:||Issue 3, (Vol. 4) / 2010|
|Author(s):||GUPTA, S. K. , CHAUHAN R. K. , KUMAR P.|
|Abstract.||Abstract-In this chapter, we propose a hybrid checkpointing scheme for deterministic mobile distributed systems where an all process checkpoint is enforced after running minimum process checkpointing algorithm for certain number of times. In the minimum process checkpointing, no useless checkpoints are taken, no blocking of processes takes place and anti-messaging of very few messages are logged during checkpointing. It balances the checkpointing overhead and loss of computation on recovery|
|Keywords:||Checkpointing, Mobile Systems, Mobile Support Stations, Deterministic Systems|
1. Cao G. and Singhal M., “On coordinated checkpointing in Distributed Systems”, IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, vol. 9, no.12, pp. 1213-1225, Dec 1998.
2. Cao G. and Singhal M., “On the Impossibility of Min-process Non-blocking Checkpointing and an Efficient Checkpointing Algorithm for Mobile Computing Systems,” Proceedings of International Conference on Parallel Processing, pp. 37-44, August 1998.
3. Cao G. and Singhal M., “Mutable Checkpoints: A New Checkpointing Approach for Mobile Computing systems,” IEEE Transaction On Parallel and Distributed Systems, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 157-172, February 2001.
4. Elnozahy E.N., Johnson D.B. and Zwaenepoel W., “The Performance of Consistent Checkpointing,” Proceedings of the 11th Symposium on Reliable Distributed Systems, pp. 39- 47, October 1992.
5. Koo R. and Toueg S., “Checkpointing and Roll-Back Recovery for Distributed Systems,” IEEE Trans. on Software Engineering, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 23-31, January 1987.
6. Parveen Kumar, Lalit Kumar, R K Chauhan, V K Gupta “A Non-Intrusive Minimum Process Synchronous Checkpointing Protocol for Mobile Distributed Systems” Proceedings of IEEE ICPWC-2005, pp 491-95, January 2005.
7. L. Kumar, M. Misra, R.C. Joshi, “Low overhead optimal checkpointing for mobile distributed systems” Proceedings. 19th IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering, pp 686 – 88, 2003.
8. David R. Jefferson, “Virtual Time”, ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems, Vol. 7, NO.3, pp 404- 425, July 1985.
9. Johnson, D.B., Zwaenepoel, W., “ Sender-based message logging”, In Proceedingss of 17th international Symposium on Fault-Tolerant Computing, pp 14-19, 1987.
10. Johnson, D.B., Zwaenepoel, W., “Recovery in Distributed Systems using optimistic message logging and checkpointing. pp 171-181, 1988.
11. Pushpendra Singh, Gilbert Cabillic, “A Checkpointing Algorithm for Mobile Computing Environment”, LNCS, No. 2775, pp 65-74, 2003.
12. Ni, W., S. Vrbsky and S. Ray, “Pitfalls in Distributed Nonblocking Checkpointing”, Journal of Interconnection Networks, Vol. 1 No. 5, pp. 47-78, March 2004.
|Back to the journal content|
This article is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.