Stability of Marangoni Convection in a Fluid Layer with variable viscosity and deformable free urface under free-slip condition
|Published in:||Issue 2, (Vol. 3) / 2009|
|Author(s):||Arifin Norihan Md, Abidin Nurul Hafizah Zainal|
|Abstract.||The steady marangoni convection is investigated in a horizontal layer of fluid with a free-slip bottom heated from below and cooled from above. Since the viscosity is temperature-dependent the consequences of relaxing oberbeck-boussinesq approximation and free surface deformability are theoretically examined by means of small disturbance analysis. Prediction for the onset of convection are obtained from the analysis by numerical technique. The effect of variable viscosity and surface deformation on the onset of fluid motion is investigated in detail. It is shown that the critical values of marangoni and wave number depend strongly on the viscosity variation and surface deformation.|
|Keywords:||Marangoni Convection, Heat Generation, Free-slip|
1. J. R. A Pearson,., “On convection cells induce by surface tension,” J. Fluid Mech., vol. 4, pp. 489-500, 1958.
2. T. Boeck, and A. Thess, “Inertial Bénard-Marangoni convection,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 350, pp.149-175, 1997.
3. N. M. Arifin, R. Nazar, and N. Senu,” Feedback control of the Marangoni-Benard instability in a fluid layer with free-slip bottom,” J. Phys. Soc. Japan, vol. 76(1), pp.014401:1-4, 2007
4. N. M. Arifin and H. RosalI, “Numerical Analysis on Marangoni Convection with free-slip bottom under magnetic field,” WSEAS Transc. Heat Mass Transfer, vol. 4(2), pp. 89-98, 2007.
5. I. Hashim, and Z. Siri, “Feedback control of thermocapillary convection in a rotating fluid layer with free-slip bottom,” Sains Malaysiana , vo. 38(1), pp. 119-124, 2009.
6. R. Selak, and G. Lebon, “Bénard-Marangoni thermoconvective instability in presence of a temperature-dependent viscosity,” J. Phys. II France, vo. 3, pp. 1185-1199, 1993.
7. S. Slatchev and V. Ouzounov, “Stationary Marangoni instability in a liquid layer with temperature-dependent viscosity in microgravity,” J. Microgravity Q, vol. 4, pp. 33-38., 1994. 8. A.Cloot, and G. Lebon, “Marangoni instability in a fluid layer with variable viscosity and free interface in microgravity,” Physico Chemical Hydrodynamics, vol. 6, pp.453-462, 1985. 9. ZH. Kozoukharova, C. Rozé, and G. Lebon, “Surface-tension instability in a fluid layer with variable viscosity and deformable upper surface,” Microgravity Sci. Technol, vol. 8, pp. 249-255, 1995.
10. ZH. Kozoukharova and C. Rozé, “Influence of the surface deformability and variable viscosity on buoyant-thermocapillary instability in a fluid layer,” Eur. Phys. J.B, vol. 8, pp. 125-135, 1999.
|Back to the journal content|
This article is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.