Lorenz Curve, Entropy and the Methodology of Hierarchical Clusters in the Study of Tourist Density Pre and Post Covid
|Published in:||Issue 2, (Vol. 17) / 2023|
|Author(s):||GOGONEA Rodica Manuela, ZAHARIA Marian|
|Abstract.||One of the factors that can contribute to the sustainable development of local and regional communities is tourism. Tourist traffic, through its intensity, can be both beneficial, to the extent that the natural and anthropic resources of the respective communities are used responsibly, but it can also be harmful, when it is ignored or when its regeneration capacity is exceeded. In this context, an important indicator that evaluates the degree of load, as well as the efficiency of the management of tourist destinations, is the density of tourist traffic. The paper analyzes, on the one hand, the concentration of tourist traffic of Romanian and foreign tourists, as well as the degree of utilization of the accommodation capacity in operation, and on the other hand, the geographical distribution of the density of tourist traffic at the level of the counties of Romania. Methodologically, for the first objective, the Lorenz curve and Shannon Entropy were used, and for the second, the hierarchical cluster methodology.|
|Keywords:||Lorentz Concentration Curve, Shannon Entropy, Cluster Analysis, Tourist Traffic, Tourism Density|
1. A. Balacescu, M. Zaharia and R.M. Gogonea (2021), Considerations Regarding The Evolution of Covid-19 in The South-West Oltenia Region of Romania, in The Period April - September 2020, Annals - Economy Series, 2, issue , p. 26-34.
2. C. Arriola, P. Kowalski and F. van Tongeren. (2022), COVID-19, Tourism, and the Cost of Uneven Recovery, No 333411, Conference papers, Purdue University, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Global Trade Analysis Project.
3. C. Volkmann, K.O. Tokarski, V.M. Dinca and A. Bogdan. (2021), The Impact of COVID-19 on Romanian Tourism. An Explorative Case Study on Prahova County, Romania, The AMFITEATRU ECONOMIC journal, 23, issue 56.
4. C.A. Chinie. (2018), Clusters of Tourism Consumers in Romania, Studia Universitatis „Vasile Goldis” Arad – Economics Series, 28, issue 1, p. 17-34.
5. Ch. Volkmann, K. Tokarski, V. Oliver, M. Dinca and A, Bogdan. (2021), The Impact of COVID-19 on Romanian Tourism. An Explorative Case Study on Prahova County, Romania, The AMFITEATRU ECONOMIC journal, 23, issue 56.
6. D. Popescu, I. Oehler-Şincai, D. Bulin, and I.A. Tanase. (2018), Cee-16: A Cluster Analysis Based on Tourism Competitiveness and Correlations With Major Determinants, The AMFITEATRU ECONOMIC journal, 20, issue S12.
7. E. Jaba, E., (2002), Statistica, ediția a treia, Editura Economică, București, pp. 195-196
8. G. Bilevsky. (2017), The Tourism Performances at Regional Level in Romania, Management Strategies Journal, 35, issue 1, p. 281-286.
9. G. Faizova, N. Kozhevnikova, G. Kashipova, G. Zinurova and E. Egorova. (2015), Factors of Functioning and Development of Tourist Clusters at Regional Level, European Research Studies Journal, XVIII, issue 3, p. 91-102.
10. G. Ozkaya and A. Demirhan. (2022), Multi-Criteria Analysis of Sustainable Travel and Tourism Competitiveness in Europe and Eurasia, Sustainability, 14, issue 22, p. 1-26.
11. G.I. Butnaru and C. Minut. (2012), Tourism and Regional Development – The Case of Romania, CES Working Papers, 4(3a), issue 3a, p. 480-492.
12. I.A.Sorcaru. (2018) Tourist Flows in Romania.Evolution and Perspectives. Economics and Applied Informatics, issue 1, p. 46-53.
13. I.D. Juganaru. (2020), The Evolution of Seaside Tourism in the First Tourist Season of the COVID-19 Pandemic: The Situation of the Romanian Black Sea Resorts, Ovidius University Annals, Economic Sciences Series, XX, issue 2, p. 690-699.
14. INSSE (2023) Baza de date statistice. http://statistici.insse.ro:8077/tempo-online/#/ pages/tables/insse-table
15. J. Ben, (2016), Estimating Lorenz and concentration curves, Stata Journal, 16, issue 4, p. 837-866
16. J.V. Andrei, R.M. Gogonea, M. Zaharia, A. Patrascu, A. Bălăcescu and R.G. Ladaru. (2020) A Critical Approach on Using Total Water Footprint of Agricultural Products as a Potential Sustainable Development Indicator. Tehnički vjesnik 27, 2, pp. 671-679
17. M. Roman, M. Roman, E. Grzegorzewska, P. Pietrzak, P. and K. Roman. (2022), Influence of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Tourism in European Countries: Cluster Analysis Findings, Sustainability, 14, issue 3, p. 1-17.
18. M. Zaharia, R.M.Gogonea (2019) Water Footprint of Domestic Water Consumption. Is It Sustainable? The USV Annals of Economics and Public Administration. Vol.19. Issue 1(29), 2019
19. M.L. Druiu. (2021), Study Regarding the Tourism Sector in Romanian Economy, Ovidius University Annals, Economic Sciences Series, XXI, issue 2, p. 261-266.
20. N.I. Danko and G.V. Dovhal (2013), Creation of the tourist cluster as a way of increase of investment attractiveness of a region, The Problems of Economy, issue 4.
21. O. Neagu and M.I. Neagu. (2016), Regional Specialisation and Economic Concentration in Romania, Studia Universitatis „Vasile Goldis” Arad – Economics Series, 26, issue 3, p. 1-17.
22. T. Rotaru, G. Badescu, I. Culic, E. Mezei, and C. Mureșan. (2006). Metode statistice aplicate în științele sociale, Ed. Polirom, Iași.
23. *** Strategia națională pentru dezvoltarea durabilă a României 2030. Available: https://www.edu.ro/sites/default/files/Strategia-nationala-pentru-dezvoltarea-durabila-a-Rom%C3%A2niei-2030.pdf. Pg.58-59.
24. *** Arrivals of tourists in tourist reception structures with tourist accommodation functions, by county TUR104B Available: http://statistici.insse.ro:8077/tempo-online/#/pages/tables/insse-table
25. *** Overnight stays in tourist reception structures by county TUR105D Available: http://statistici.insse.ro:8077/tempo-online/#/pages/tables/insse-table
26. *** The resident population on January 1 by age and age groups, sexes and areas of residence, macro-regions, development regions and counties POP105A. Available: http://statistici.insse.ro:8077/tempo-online/#/pages/tables/insse-table
27. *** Tourist accommodation capacity, existence by counties, macro-regions, development regions and counties TUR102D. Available: http://statistici.insse.ro:8077/tempo-online/#/pages/tables/insse-table
|Back to the journal content|
This article is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.