|Paper title:||Enhanced White Cane for Visually Impaired People|
|Published in:||Issue 2, (Vol. 12) / 2018Download|
|Author(s):||ALSHAJAJEER Maymounah A., ALMOUSA Maryam T., Al-HAIJA Qasem Abu|
|Abstract.||According to WHO (World Health Organization) statistics, around 285 billion people in the world have visual impairment. They find difficulty in doing their everyday tasks and detecting objects in front of them that can be harmful to them. As a solution to this problem, we introduce a White Cane (Smart Stick) system for assisting visually impaired people. The White Cane comes as a proposed solution to help visually impaired people to detect obstacles and investigate dangers in the world around while walking. The system is designed to act like an artificial vision and alarm unit. It consists of ultrasonic, light, and water sensors, in addition to the microcontroller (Arduino Uno), to receive the sensors signals and process them to short pulses to the Arduino pins where buzzer, vibrator, and blue LED are connected. Moreover, GPS-GSM module is utilized to send SMS location messages to a helper phone when a person gets lost and doesn’t know where to go. We seek in our project to provide a helpful service with affordable price|
|Keywords:||White Cane, Ultrasonic Sensor, Visually Impaired People, Arduino Uno|
|References:||1. HENRY'S BENCH, "Arduino Rain Sensor Module Guide and Tutorial", HENRY'S BENCH a place for the electronic hobbyist, 2015. Retrieved from: http://henrysbench.capnfatz.com/
2. Lady Ada, "Adafruit FONA 808 Cellular + GPS Shield for Arduino", "Adafruit Co., 2017. Retrieved from:https://www.adafruit.com/
3. J. Banks; J. Carson; B. Nelson; D. Nicol, "Discrete-Event System Simulation". Prentice Hall. p. 3. , 2001, ISBN 0-13-088702-1.
4. EDAC, "About the EDA Industry", Electronic Design Automation Consortium, Archived from the original on August 2, 2015.
5. McRoberts, Michael, "Beginning Arduino", APress. pp. xx. 2010, ISBN 978-1-4302-3240-7.
6. Rubin, Steven M., "An Integrated Aid for Top-Down Electrical Design", Proceedings, VLSI '83, Anceau and Aas, eds., North Holland, Amsterdam,1983.
7. ElectronicsForu, "Electric 9.07: EDA and Circuit Layout Made Easy", February 10, 2018. Retrieved from: https://electronicsforu.com/
8. Pad2Pad cO., "Pad2Pad software: FREE Software for Designing Circuit Boards", 2014-2018, Retrievd From: https://www.pad2pad.com/
9. Goering, Richard, "Do-it-yourselfer's EDA project wins open-source fans". EE Times. Retrieved 2008-11-25.
10. Stambaugh, Wayne, "KiCad Version 5 New Feature Demo", 2018.
11. Github WEBSITE "ktechlab: List of features", Retrievd From: https://github.com/ktechlab/ktechlab/wiki/List-of-features
12. LibrePCB, "LibrePCB: A new, powerful and intuitive EDA tool for everyone", Copyright © 2018 Urban Bruhin, Retrieved From: http://librepcb.org/
13. IEEExplore White Paper, "Application of Proteus VSM in modelling brushless DC motor drives", May 2011.
|Back to the journal content|
This article is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.