A Literature Study on Dynamic Bandwidth Allocation Mechanisms for Tandem Communication Networks
|Published in:||Issue 3, (Vol. 8) / 2014|
|Author(s):||RAGHAVENDRAN, CH.V. , SATISH G. Naga , SUNDARI M.V. Rama , VARMA P. Suresh|
|Abstract.||Modeling and performance prediction are becoming increasingly important issues in the design and operation of computer communications systems. In this paper a review is carried out on how Tandem queuing models with Dynamic Bandwidth Allocation have been applied so far into the performance evaluation of Communication Networks. Queuing network models with finite/infinite capacity buffers and blocking have been applied as more realistic models of systems with finite capacity resources. First we review basic properties of exponential queuing systems, and then give an overview of recent progress made in the areas of dynamic bandwidth allocation for tandem queuing network models and performance measures.|
|Keywords:||Queuing Models, Tandem Communication Networks, Dynamic Bandwidth, Feedback.|
1. Kienzle. M. and K. Sevcik (1979), Survey of analytic queuing network models of computer systems, Froc. Conference on Simulation, Measurement and Modeling of Computer Systems, ACM/SIGMETRICS, pp.113.
2. Kleinrock, L. (2000), On some principles of nomadic computing and multi-access communications, IEEE Communications Magazine 38(7): 46-50.
3. Wisely D., P. Eardley and L. Burness (2002), IP for 3G, John Wiley.
4. Jackson, J.R., Networks of waiting lines (1957), Opers. Res. 5, 518-521.
5. Baskett, F., Chandy, M., Muntz, R. and Palacios, F.G. (1957), Open, closed and mixed networks of queues with different classes of customers, J. of the Assoc. for Compu. Mach. 22, 248-260.
6. Kelly, F., Networks of queues, Adv. of Appl. Prob. 8 (1976), 416-432.
7. Kleinrock, L., Queueing Theory, volume I, John Wiley and Sons, New York 1975.
8. Kleinrock, L, Queueing Theory, volume II, John Wiley and Sons, New York 1976.
9. Edgar Reich (1956), Birth-Death Processes and Tandem Queues, Rand Corp. P-863.
10. L. Takács (1963), A Single-Server Queue with Feedback, Bell System Technical Journal, Vol. 42, Issue 2, pp. 505-519.
11. Michael Shalmon and Michael A. Kaplan (1984), A Tandem Network of Queues with Deterministic Service and Intermediate Arrivals, Published Online,pp.753–773.
12. Jonathan Brandon and Uri Yechiali (1991), A tandem Jackson network with feedback to the first node, Queueing System 9, pp. 337-352.
13. Balaji Prabhakar, Nicholas Bambos (1994), On infinite queueing tandems, Published in Journal Systems & Control Letters, Elsevier Science Pub., Vol. 23 Issue 4, pp. 305-314.
14. B. Krishna Kumar, S. Pavai Madheswari, A.Vijayakumar (2002), The M/G/1 retrial queue with feedback and starting failures, Applied Mathematical Modelling, Vol. 26, Issue 11, pp. 1057 - 1075.
15. Haghighi A.M., Mishev D.P. (2007), A tandem queueing system with task-splitting, feedback, and blocking, International Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 2(2), pp. 208-230.
16. Haghighi A.M. and Mishev D.P. (2009), Analysis of a twonode task-splitting feedback tandem queue with infinite buffers by functional equation, International Journal of Mathematics in Operational Research, Vol.1, No.1/2, pp.246-277.
17. Haghighi A M, Chukova S S and Mishev D P (2011), Singleserver Poisson queueing system with splitting and delayedfeedback: part I, International Journal of Mathematics in Operational Research, Vol.3(1), pp.1-21.
18. Walenty Oniszczuk (2008), An Intelligent Service Strategy in Linked Networks with Blocking and Feedback, New Challenges in Applied Intelligence Technologies, Studies in Computational Intelligence, Vol. 134, pp. 351-361.
19. Yong Wan Lee (2005), The M/G/1 feedback retrial queue with two types of Customers, Bulletin of the Korean Mathematical Society, Vol. 42, pp. 875-887.
20. Josh Reed and Uri Yechiali (2013), Queues in tandem with customer deadlines and retrials, Queueing Systems, Vol. 73, Issue 1, pp. 1-34.
21. Decina, M; Scace, E (May 1986). “CCITT Recommendations on the ISDN: A Review”. CCITT Red Book 4 (3): 320– 25.doi:10.1109/JSAC.1986.1146333. ISSN 0733-8716.
22. J.C.R. Licklider & W. Clark (1962), On-line man-computer communication, AIEE-IRE Proceedings of the Spring joint computer conference, pp. 113-128.
23. Leonard Kleinrock and Farouk Kamoun (1977), Hierarchical routing for large networks – Performance evaluation and optimization, Computer Networks 1, pp. 155-174.
24. Caglan M. Aras, James F. Kurose, Douglas S. Reeves and Henning Schulzrinne (1994), Real-Time Communication in Packet-Switched Networks, Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 82, No. 1, pp. 122-139.
25. Lefelhocz, C; Lyles, B.; Shenker, S.; Zhang, L. (1996) Congestion Control for Best-Effort Service: Why We Need a New Paradigm, IEEE Network, vol. 10, no. 1, Jan/Feb 1996, pp. 10-19.
26. Dimitrios Miras (2002), A Survey of Network QoS Needs of Advanced Internet Applications, Internet2 QoS Working Group.
27. B. Filipowicz and J. Kwiecien (2008), Queueing systems and networks. Models and applications, Bulletin of The Polish Academy Of Sciences, Technical Sciences, Vol. 56, No. 4, pp. 379-390.
28. Aderemi A. Atayero, Oleg I. Sheluhin and Yury A. Ivanov (2012), Effect of Error Packetization on the Quality of Streaming Video in Wireless Broadband Networks, International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications, Vol. 3, No. 3, pp. 15-19.
29. Firouzbakht Koorosh, Guevara Noubir, Masoud Salehi (2014), On the Performance of Adaptive Packetized Wireless Communication Links under Jamming, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, pp. 1-14.
30. Conway RW, Maxwell WL (1961), A queueing model with state dependent service rate, The Journal of Industrial Engineering, Vol. 12(2), pp. 132-136.
31. Carl M.Harris (1970), Some results for bulk arrival Queues with state dependent service Times, Management Science, Vol.16, No.5, pp 313-326.
32. Gilles Davignon and Ralph L. Disney (1973), Single Server Queues with State Dependent Feedback, Ft. Belvoir Defense Technical Information Center.
33. Brown T.C. and Pollett P.K. (1982), Some distributional approximations in Markovian queueing networks, Advances in Applied Probability, Vol.14(3),pp. 654-671.
34. I.F. Akyildiz and Albrecht Sieber (1988), Approximate Analysis of Load Dependent General Queueing Networks, IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, Vol. 14, No. 11, pp. 1537-1545.
35. Parthasarathy,P.R. and Selvraju, N. (2001), Transient analysis of a Queue where potential customers are Discouraged by Queue length. Mathematical Problems in Engineering, Vol.7, pp.433-454.
36. Zuyuan Fang and Brahim Bensaou (2004), Fair bandwidth sharing algorithms based on game theory frameworks for wireless ad-hoc networks, INFOCOM 2004, Twenty-third Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies, Vol. 2, pp. 1284-1295.
37. F. R. B. Cruz, J. MacGregor Smith and D. C. Queiroz (2005), Service and Capacity Allocation in M/G/c/c State Dependent Queueing Networks, Computers and Operations Research, Vol. 32, Issue 6, pp.1545-1563.
38. P.Suresh Varma and K. Srinivasa Rao (2007), A Communication Network with Load Dependent Transmission, International Journal of Mathematical Sciences, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 199-210.
39. Ramasubramanian S, Parathasarathy S and Somani A.K. (2009), AMES: A framework for fair bandwidth sharing, COMSNETS'09 Proceedings of the First international conference on COMmunication Systems And NETworks, IEEE Press, pp. 512-521.
40. S.Vijay Bhanu Dr. RM. Chandrasekaran Dr.V. Balakrishnan (2010), Effective Bandwidth Utilization in IEEE802.11 for VOIP, International Journal of Computer Science and Information Security, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 68-75.
41. K. Srinivasa Rao, Kuda Nageswara Rao, P.Srinivasa Rao (2011), Performance Evaluation of Two Node Tandem Communication Network with Dynamic Bandwidth Allocation having Two Stage Direct Bulk Arrivals, International Journal of Computer Science Issues (IJCSI), Vol. 8, Issue 1, pp. 122- 130.
42. K. Srinivasa Rao, Nakka.Thirupathi Rao, Kuda.Nageswara Rao and P.Srinivasa Rao (2014), Stochastic Control and Analysis of Two-node Tandem Communication Network Model with DBA and Binomial Bulk Arrivals with Phase Type Transmission, International Journal of Computer Applications, Vol. 87, No.10, pp. 33-46.
43. M.V. Rama Sundari, K. Srinvas Rao, P.Srinivasa Rao and P.Suresh Varma (2011), On Tandem Communication Network Model with DBA and Modified Phase Type Transmission having NHP Arrivals for First Node and Poisson process arrivals for Second Node, IJCSI International Journal of Computer Science Issues, Vol. 8, Issue 5, No 2, pp. 136-144.
44. M.V. Rama Sundari, K. Srinvas Rao, P.Srinivasa Rao and P.Suresh Varma (2011), Three Node Tandem Communication Network Model with Dynamic Bandwidth Allocation and Non Homogeneous Poisson Arrivals, International Journal of Computer Applications, Vol. 31, No.1, pp. 19-27.
45. A.V.S. Suhasini, K. Srinivasa Rao and P.R.S. Reddy (2012), Transient Analysis of Tandem Queueing Model with NonHomogenous Poisson Bulk Arrivals Having State-Dependent Service Rates, International Journal of Advanced Computer and Mathematical Sciences, Vol. 3, Issue 3, pp. 272-289.
46. Remco Germs, Nicky van Foreest (2013), Analysis of finitebuffer state-dependent bulk queues, OR Spectrum, Springer, Vol. 35, Issue 3, pp 563-583.
47. N. Thirupathi Rao, Kuda Nageswara Rao, P. Srinivasa Rao (2013), Transient Analysis of a Communication Network with Dynamic Bandwidth Allocation Having Bulk Arrivals Using Zero Truncated Binomial Distribution, International Journal of Computer Science And Technology, Vol. 4, Issue 1, pp. 70-75.
48. N. Thirupathi Rao, K. Srinivasa Rao, P.Srinivasa Rao and Kuda Nageswara Rao (2014), Performance Evaluation of TwoNode Tandem Communication Network with DBA having Compound Poisson Binomial Bulk Arrivals, Computer Engineering and Intelligent Systems, Vol. 5, No.1, pp. 79-100.
49. CH.V. Raghavendran, G. Naga Satish, M.V. Rama Sundari, P. Suresh Varma, Transient Analysis of Communication Network Model with Homogeneous Poisson arrivals and Dynamic Bandwidth Allocation, International Journal of Computer Applications (0975 – 8887) Volume 98– No.3, July 2014.
50. CH.V. Raghavendran, G. Naga Satish, M.V. Rama Sundari, P. Suresh Varma, Tandem Communication Network Model with DBA having Non Homogeneous Poisson arrivals and Feedback for First Node, International Journal of Computers and Technology (ISSN 2277-3061), Vol. 13, No. 9, July, 2014.
51. CH.V. Raghavendran, G. Naga Satish, M.V. Rama Sundari, P. Suresh Varma, Performance Analysis of A Two Node Tandem Communication Network with Feedback, Global Journal of Computer Science and Technology (G), Volume XIV Issue I, 2014
|Back to the journal content|
This article is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.