Automatic Multi-Level Thresholding Segmentation Based on Multi-Objective Optimization
|Published in:||Issue 2, (Vol. 6) / 2012|
|Author(s):||DJEROU L., KHELIL N., DEHIMI N. H., BATOUCHE M., BATOUCHE M.|
|Abstract.||In this paper, we present a new multi-level image thresholding technique, called Automatic Threshold based on Multi-objective Optimization "ATMO" that combines the flexibility of multi-objective fitness functions with the power of a Binary Particle Swarm Optimization algorithm "BPSO", for searching the "optimum" number of the thresholds and simultaneously the optimal thresholds of three criteria: the between-class variances criterion, the minimum error criterion and the entropy criterion. Some examples of test images are presented to compare our segmentation method, based on the multi-objective optimization approach with Otsu’s, Kapur’s and Kittler’s methods. Our experimental results show that the thresholding method based on multi-objective optimization is more efficient than the classical Otsu’s, Kapur’s and Kittler’s methods.|
|Keywords:||Binary Particle Swarm Optimization, Image Segmentation, Image Thresholding, Multi-objective Optimization, Non-pare To Approach.|
1. C.W. Bong and R. Mandava, “Multiobjective Optimization Approaches in Image Segmentation - The Directions and Challenges,” Int. J. Advance Soft Comput. Appl, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 40-64, 2010.
2. C.A. Coello Coello, “Handling Multiple Objectives with Particle Swarm Optimization.” IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, IEEE, Piscataway, NJ, 8 (3) 256- 279, 2004.
3. L. Djerou., H. Dehimi, N. Khelil and M. Batouche, “Using the BPSO algorithm in image segmentation for dynamic thresholding.” in the proceeding of the International Conference on Bio-Inspired Computing: Theories and Applications, IEEE , pp.402-407, 2009.
4. K. Hammouche, M. Diaf and P. Siarry, “A comparative study of various meta-heuristic techniques applied to the multilevel thresholding problem.“ Journal of Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, Vol. 23, 5, pp. 676-688, 2010.
5. J.N. Kapur, P.K. Sahoo and A.K.C. Wong, “A new method for gray-level picture thresholding using the entropy of the histogram.“ Journal of Computer Vision Graphics Image Processing, 29, pp. 273-285, 1985.
6. J. Kennedy and R. Eberhart, “A Discrete Binary Version of the Particle Swarm Algorithm.“ Proceedings of the Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, pp. 4104-4109, 1997.
7. J. Kennedy and R. Eberhart, “Particle Swarm Optimization.“ Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, Perth, Australia, vol. 4, pp.1942-1948, 1995.
8. J. Kittler and J. Illingworth, “Minimum Error Thresholding.“ Pattern Recognition, 19(1), pp 41-47, 1986.
9. A., Nakib, H. Oulhadj and P. Siarry, “Image thresholding based on Pareto multiobjective optimization.“ Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, 23 , pp 313-320, 2010.
10. A. Nakib, H. Oulhadj and P. Siarry, “Image histogram thresholding based on multiobjective optimization. “ Signal Processing 87, pp.2516-2534, 2007.
11. E. Konstantinos Parsopoulos, K. Dimitris Tasoulis, and Michael N. Vrahatis. “Multiobjective optimization using parallel vector evaluated particle swarm optimization.“ In Proceedings of the IASTED International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Applications (AIA 2004), volume 2, pages 823–828, Innsbruck, Austria, February ACTA Press, 2004.
12. M. Omran, A. Salman and A. Engelbrecht, “Dynamic clustering using particle swarm optimization with application in image segmentation.“ Pattern Analysis and Applications Journal, vol. 8,4, 2006.J. Clerk Maxwell, A Treatise on Electricity and Magnetism, 3rd ed., vol. 2. Oxford: Clarendon, pp.68-73, 1892.
13. N. Otsu, “A Threshold Selection Method from Gray-Level Histograms.” IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Vol. 9, 1, pp. 62-66, 1979.
14. N.R. Pal, and S.K. Pal, “A review on image segmentation techniques.” Pattern Recognition 9(26), pp. 1277-1294, 1993.
15. J.D. Schaffer, “Multiple objective optimization with vector evaluated genetic algorithm.” In the proceedings of the first Int. Conf. on Genetic Algorithms, Pittsburgh (USA), pp. 93- 100, July 1985.
16. P.K. Sahoo, S. Soltani, and A.K.C. Wong, “ A survey of thresholding techniques. “ Computer Vision, Graphics, and Image Processing, Vol. 41, pp. 233-260, 1988.
17. M. Sezgin, B. Sankur, “Survey over image thresholding techniques and quantitative performance evaluation.” Journal. of Electronic Imaging. Vol. 131, pp. 146-165, 2004.
18. M. Reyes-Sierra, C.A.C. Coello, “Multi-objective Particle Swarm Optimizers: A survey of the State-of-the-Art.”, Int. Journal of Comput. Intelligence Research, Vol. 2, 3, pp. 287- 308, 2006.
19. R.H. Turi, Clustering-based color image segmentation. Ph.D Thesis. Monash University, Australia. 2001.
20. F. Van den Bergh, An Analysis of Particle Swarm Optimizers, PhD Thesis, Department of Computer Science, University of Pretoria 2002.
|Back to the journal content|
This article is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.