Image Compression Based On Wavelet, Polynomial and Quadtree
|Published in:||Issue 2, (Vol. 5) / 2011|
|Author(s):||GEORGE Loay E. , SULTAN Bushra A.|
|Abstract.||In this paper a simple and fast image compression scheme is proposed, it is based on using wavelet transform to decompose the image signal and then using polynomial approximation to prune the smoothing component of the image band. The architect of proposed coding scheme is high synthetic where the error produced due to polynomial approximation in addition to the detail sub-band data are coded using both quantization and Quadtree spatial coding. As a last stage of the encoding process shift encoding is used as a simple and efficient entropy encoder to compress the outcomes of the previous stage. The test results indicate that the proposed system can produce a promising compression performance while preserving the image quality level.|
|Keywords:||Image Compression, Compression Algorithm, Geometric Piecewise Polynomials|
1. M. Santhi, R. S. D. Wahida Banu, ”Modified SPIHT Algorithm for Coding Color Image using Inter-color Correlation” ,IJCSNS,VOL. 10 NO. 3, March 2010, pp.256.
2. D. Dhouib, A. NaIt-Ali, C. Olivier and M. S. Naceur, “Performance Evaluation of Wavelet Based Color on Brain MRI Volumetric Medical Dataset for Storage and Wireless Transmission”, IJBLS 3:3, 2007, pp. 147.
3. B. Ramakrishnan and N. Sriraam, “Optimal Wavelet Decomposition for Wavelet Based Image Compression Coders: An Empirical Study on Medical Images”, Dept. of Biological Eng., Maniple Institute of Technology, India, firstname.lastname@example.org, 2002.
4. J. M. Shapiro, “ Embedded Image Coding Using Zerotree Wavelet Coefficients”, IEEE Trans. Signal Processing , vol. 14, pp. 3445-3462, 1993.
5. K.R. Namuduri and V.N. Ramaswamy, “Feature Preserving Image Compression”, Pattern Recognition Letters, Vol. 24, pp. 2767-2776, 2003.
6. A. Said and W. Pearlman, “A New fast and Efficient Image Coder Based on Set Partitioning in Hierarchal Trees”, IEEE Trans. Circuit Syst. Video Technol., Vol. 6 , pp. 243-250, June 1996.
7. M. Penedo, W.A. Pearlman, P.G. Tahoces, M. Souto and J.J. Vidal, “Region-based Wavelet Coding Method for Digital Mammography”, IEEE Trans. Circuit on Medical Imaging, Vol. 22 ,No. 10, pp. 1288-1296, Oct. 2003.
8. W.A. Pearlman, A. Islam, N. Nagaraj and A. Said, “ Efficient Low-complexity Image Coding with Set-Partitioning Embedded Block Coder”, IEEE Trans. Circuit Syst. Video Technol., Vol. 14, No. 11 , pp. 1219-1235, Nov. 2004.
9. Y. Chen, P. Hao,” Integer Reversable Transformation to Make JPEG Lossless “, Center for Information Science, Peking University Beijing, 100871, China Department of Computer Science, ICSP’04 Proceedings,2004.
10. G.J. Sullivan and R. L. Baker ,”Efficient Quadtree Coding of Images and Vidio”, IEEE Trans. Image Proce., Vol. 3,No. 3,PP. 327-331, May, 1994.
11. A.A. El-Harby and G.M. Behery, "Qualitative Image Compression Algorithm Relying on Quadtree", CGST-GVIP, ISSN 1687-398X, Volume (8), Issue (III), October 2008.
12. Hsi-Chin Hsin; Tze-Yun Sung, "An efficient rearrangement of wavelet packet coefficients for embedded quad-tree image coding", MUSP'07 Proceedings of the 7th WSEAS International Conference on Multimedia Systems & Signal Processing, April- 2007. 13.J. Scharinger, “Image Compression by Multilevel Polynomial Interpolation and Wavelet Texture Coding “, Computer Aided Systems Theory, EUROCAST’97, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 133, PP. 429-443,1997.
14. I. A. Al-Jarwan and M. J. Zemerly,” Image Compression Using Adaptive Variable Degree Variable Segment Length Chebyshev Polynomials”, Image Analysis, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2005, Vol. 3540, PP. 1196-1207, 2005.
15. R. Kazinnik, S. Dekel , and N. Dyn,” Low Bit-rate Image Coding Using Adapive Geometric Pricewise Polynomial Approximation “, Journal of Latex Class Files, Vol. 111, No. 22, PP. 1-16,Nov. 2006.
16. R. Muthaian, K. NeelaKantan, V. Sharma, and A. Arora, ”Image Compression and Reconstruction Using Cubic Spline Interpolation Technique”, American Journal of Applied Sciences, Vol. 5, No. 11, PP. 1562-1565, Nov. ,2008.
17. R. Krishmamoorthi and N. Kannan ,” A New Integer Image Coding Technique Based on Orthogonal Polynomials”, Image and Vision Computer Archive, Vol. 27, Issue 8,PP. 999-1006, July, 2009
|Back to the journal content|
This article is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.